30 Oct 2008 10:10:47
Top Ten Tips for Recycling in Your Business
1. Make some time to look at what could be recycled in your business. 1-2 hours would be sufficient to get you started.
2. Things to look for: paper in bins at desks, unnecessary printing e.g. emails, cans and bottles discarded with food waste, printer cartridges and batteries in with general rubbish, excess packaging being used.
3. Look for opportunities where waste can be reduced and re-used as these methods are usually no cost or low cost. E.g. printing documents double sided.
4. Start with one or two things. Look at the largest volume of potentially recyclable waste. In an office this is most likely to be paper. Also look for high value waste such as aluminium cans and printer cartridges. Just by making a few simple changes you can make a big difference.
5. Find a reputable bin supplier who will work with you to identify the most suitable bins and recycling containers that are right for your business.
6. Separate recyclables. Select suitable containers, labels and signage for the storage and handling of each type of waste that you have decided to recycle. It is important to use clear, colour-coded signage so that all employees understand where the waste can be disposed.
7. Find an authorised waste carrier who will be able to collect your segregated waste on a regular basis.
8. Involve your staff. This is essential for a successful recycling approach in your business. Look to employees for ideas, for example, create a suggestions box. Ensure that the recycling initiative is discussed at team meetings so that everyone knows the part they have to play.
9. Look at consumables that you use for your business, could they be purchased from a supplier who provides recycled products? It is surprising the cost savings that can often be made.
10. Monitor your new scheme. Keep a record of all waste activities, including costs, to monitor improvements and ensure this is communicated to the team via notice boards, newsletters etc to maintain interest.
Good luck with your new scheme!
02 Nov 2008
The quickest and easiest area to look at to change to recycled products is your toilet rolls and hand towels!
Check out our website to see whare we can help with changing to recycled products.
Clicking a category below will direct you to a list of related information
Related Items From Everyone
Energy purchasing consultancy ENER-G Procurement has launched a broker partner network. This...
29 Apr 2013
Gwyn Jones, vice president of the National Farmers Union (NFU), has been announced as the latest...
04 Aug 2011
New distributor set to give Schüco higher profile Decison to brand 142 strong fleet in Schüco...
15 Jun 2009
Energi can provide you with an initial consultation for installing renewable energy systems. We...
Gensol is a renewable energy consultant, and can discuss with you your solar thermal...