10 Jan 2011 12:01:24
Energy saving advice: loft insulation
In the worst cases, a home can lose up to 60% of its heat through the roof and the walls. That's a lot of energy wasted. Not only will this affect your fuel bills, it also means that unnecessary carbon emissions are released into the atmosphere, adding to global warming.
The UK government is currently offering a grant to install loft and cavity wall insulation up to the value of 100% of the overall cost. This grant is paid directly to the fitting company, so the price quoted by them should already include the government's grant as a discount.
Although the grant scheme was due to end during 2011, there has been an announcement that the scheme may continue until 2015. However, nothing has been formalized in terms of this extension, so it may be wise to act sooner rather than later.
All home owners and private tenants are eligible to a grant, irrespective of savings, age or employment status. For households where there is a working adult, grants up around 50% are usual. For households where residents are aged over 70, or in receipt of certain state benefits, grants are usually paid at 100% unless the property is unusually large.
There are several advantages to installing loft and cavity wall insulation:
• A well-insulated home will save you money on your fuel bills by up to £270 per year.
• Your household's carbon footprint will be reduced. With both loft and cavity wall insulation, it is estimated that 1.4 tonnes of carbon will be stopped from entering the atmosphere.
• The value of your home will increase if you are an owner.
• A well-insulated home not only keeps the heat in during winter, it helps keep your home cool during the summer, making for a more comfortable living space.
• Less extreme temperature changes should reduce dampness and condensation.
Various energy suppliers fund these government schemes throughout the country as part of the Carbon Emissions Reduction Target. It doesn't matter if you receive your energy from the granting companies (such as British Gas or Eon) as they are obliged to contribute to the grant scheme.
The best way to begin the process is to contact World Heat. We will take you through the short application process. After you know how much grant you will receive, World Heat will survey your house free of charge and then install your insulation. You may choose either loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, or both. Once the insulation is fitted, the amount you pay will already have the grant element deducted.
To begin the application process, please contact us.