22 Feb 2011 09:02:17
8 ways to reduce energy costs
by David Vranicar
For many large organizations that operate multiple facilities, the simplest, fastest and least expensive way to reduce the cost of energy is to refine your energy-procurement practices. Yet key challenges may have prevented your organization from achieving the benefits you otherwise could:
• You may not be aware of all the opportunities.
• The topic can be complex, especially if you work with multiple utilities.
• You need accurate, detailed data. In many organizations, such data are not readily accessible in useful, actionable form.
Maybe you haven't yet dedicated the right resources to the task or you may not have the right processes or systems in place to a do a proper job. The ideas you will read here are generally fast, straightforward, non-disruptive and relatively low in cost to implement.
You will get the most out of this report if you fit the following description:
• You are responsible for reducing the cost of energy in your organization.
• Your organization consumes more than 10,000,000 KwH of energy in a year.
• Your organization operates in more than a dozen buildings and possibly on multiple sites.
This white paper focuses on ways to pay less for the energy you buy. You will also find here a brief discussion of the data, systems, processes, and resources you're likely to need to implement the energy efficiency initiatives suggested by Verisae.