26 Jun 2012 01:06:28
Come and see Next Green Car's Awards shortlist for 2012...
Welcome to the Next Green Car Awards 2012, the most scientifically based green car awards in the UK. Twenty-six of the UK's greenest new cars of 2012/13 have been selected for shortlists across eight vehicle categories. The winners will be announced on Wednesday 4th July 2012.
Next Green Car uses its unique Green Car Rating to rank the greenest new cars to come to market, honouring the most innovative low emission models with the Next Green Car Awards. To be selected for one of the Awards 2012, new models must be commercially available for purchase or order in the UK during 2012. After-market conversions are not eligible and all cars have to be available directly from the manufacturer.
Eligible models on the awards shortlists are primarily selected for their low Green Car Rating. However, account is also taken of the level of innovation, value, drive experience and design. In addition to tailpipe CO2 emissions, the Green Car Rating assesses the impacts of seven additional emissions across the life cycle of the vehicle, making it possible to compare different fuel types/drive-trains on a single scale.
Awards are given for seven vehicle classes and a 'Next Generation' category, which includes new technology models close to market launch. An overall winner is also awarded the title of Next Green Car 'Gold Award' 2012.
As noted by Dr Ben Lane, managing editor of Next Green Car: "2012 continues to be an exciting time for green cars with the launch of several high quality plug-in electric and hybrid models incentivised by the Plug-in Car Grant. In response to car buyer demand for fuel efficient cars and spurred on by EU CO2 regulations, manufacturers are also working harder than ever to bring high 'mpg', low emission petrol and diesel models to the UK market."
Melanie Shufflebotham, sales and marketing director, says: "With the costs of motoring continuing to increase, UK car buyers are looking for good quality, fuel efficient cars. The Next Green Car awards provide car buyers with an independent view on the best green cars coming to the market in 2012 to help them buy their next green car."
For each award category, the Next Green Car Awards 2012 shortlists are as follows:
* smart ed (electric drive) – CO2: 0 g/km – NGC Rating: 24
* Volkswagen Up! BlueMotion – CO2: 96 g/km – NGC Rating: 29
* Chrysler Ypsilon TwinAir – CO2: 97 g/km – NGC Rating: 29
* Renault ZOE Z.E. – CO2: 0 g/km – NGC Rating: 26
* Toyota Yaris Hybrid – CO2: 79 g/km – NGC Rating: 29
* Peugeot 208 1.4 e-HDi – CO2: 87 g/km – NGC Rating: 27
* Kia Rio 1.1 CRDi (1 Air) – CO2: 94 g/km – NGC Rating: 28
* Vauxhall Ampera/Chevrolet Volt REEV – CO2: 27 g/km – NGC Rating: 34
* Volvo V40 D2 – CO2: 94 g/km – NGC Rating: 29
* BMW 1 Series EfficientDynamics – CO2: 99 g/km – NGC Rating: 30
* Ford Focus 1.0T EcoBoost – CO2: 109 g/km – NGC Rating: TBC
* Renault Fluence Z.E. – CO2: 0 g/km – NGC Rating: 26
* Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid – CO2: 49 g/km – NGC Rating: 32
* Citroen DS5 HYbrid4 – CO2: 99g/km – NGC Rating: 34
* Peugeot 508 RXH HYbrid4 – CO2: 107g/km – NGC Rating: 42
* Ford Focus 1.0T EcoBoost Estate – CO2: 109 g/km – NGC Rating: TBC
* Hyundai i30 Tourer – CO2: <110 (TBC) g/km – NGC Rating: TBC
* Mercedes-Benz E300 BlueTEC – CO2: 109 g/km – NGC Rating: TBC
* BMW 3 Series EfficientDynamics – CO2: 109 g/km – NGC Rating: 31
* Audi A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe – CO2: 112 g/km – NGC Rating: 33
* Toyota Prius Plus Hybrid – CO2: 96 g/km – NGC Rating: 36
* Ford B-Max 1.6 TDCi – CO2: 104 g/km – NGC Rating: 31
* Vauxhall Zafira ECOflex Tourer – CO2: 119 g/km – NGC Rating: 35
* Tesla Model S – CO2: 0 g/km – NGC Rating: TBC
* BMW i3 – CO2: 0 g/km – NGC Rating: TBC
* Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid – CO2: 49 (est) g/km – NGC Rating: TBC
The winners of the eight Award categories, plus the Next Green Car 'Gold Award' 2012, will be announced on Wednesday 4th July 2012.
For more information about the Next Green Car Awards 2012, and details of all the models in the 2012 Awards shortlists, just contact us.