Head of sales – offshore wind
Salary: Competitive with package
Job Type: Full Time
Location: North Germany, Germany
Posted: 25 Jan 2012 11:01:17
Our client is an experienced submarine cable and umbilical installation, repair and maintenance company and works within the renewable, oil and gas and telecommunications industry and are the owner and operator of modern support vessels. As part of their major expansion plans and recent completion of German based projects our client is moving into the German market with the view of opening up a new office in Northern Germany. In order to do this they are looking to recruit a head of sales.
The head of sales will be responsible for structuring a selling operation in the new German market. The successful candidate will be responsible for building a sales force and managing the new German based sales team.
The sales team will work to develop new customer opportunities within the target area of Germany and manage those customers in order to develop and secure the sale of installation contracts at acceptable margin and risk levels for the business.
A successful head of sales will manage and direct communication/information flow between customers and the internal departments, primarily with the sales engineering/solution design team and the commercial team, but also interfacing with other departments such as service delivery and marine operations where necessary.
This role requires extensive routine travel within a territory (primarily within North Germany albeit it may involve other regions from time to time). The role will initially involve working from home.
The head of sales will demonstrate enthusiasm for relationship building with a proactive business development approach, commercial acumen, and a flair for influence at senior levels in customer organizations. In addition to this ideally the head of sales will have some Engineering background in order to contribute in discussions and decisions with clients and make sound judgment in recommending qualified opportunities to the business.
• Structure a sales operation from scratch for the N German territory
• Build a sales force and managing the new German based sales team
• Delivery of the Energy business plan for the current financial year as well as future financial years
• Network in the market to support and grow the brand in order to maintain a strong pipeline of opportunities
• Track opportunities to develop them into enquiries
• Liaise with the internal departments to develop solutions to meet requirements of enquiries in terms of delivering a suitable technical / commercial solution for tenders being bid
• Be the first and main sales point of contact for issues related to target tenders and customers
• Support the internal departments in communicating with customers through the tender process
• Driving tender negotiations forward with the objective of securing contracts
• Work to engender a quality and performance focus within the Sales team, and the wider company and identify areas of necessary improvement
• Utilise the company systems of Tender Approval Process and Special Approvals Committee to ensure the company operates in an efficient and effective manner through all tenders
• Responsible for improving standards, quality and delivery of service within contract agreements, analysing risk, lessons learnt and exceptions to expectations, feeding back as necessary, to meet and exceed end customer requirements
• Maintain assessment of competitor facilities and capabilities
Experience and qualifications
• Track record in developing and closing high value (>5MGBP) complex engineering contracts
• German resident who lives in North Germany, speaks fluent German
• Good computer skills, including working with financial, commercial and technical spreadsheets
• Degree level in engineering/maths/business
• Proven experience working within a cross-functional environment
• An understanding of the drivers and needs of large scale energy customers
• Experience of complex contracts mitigating risk
• Ability to assimilate technical and project management information and understand the associated issues
• Excellent interpersonal and team working ability
• Demonstrate innovation in creating solutions tailored to meet the customer’s needs
• The ability to travel abroad at short notice
• Demonstration of self-motivation and initiative
• Previous experience in the offshore wind sector
• Thorough knowledge of Excel and Word, Microsoft Project Server and Web-Access environment
• Excellent ability to motivate a virtual Project Team
• A willingness and thirst to drive through new ways of working
• Results-orientated individual with a desire to improve performance