Industrial energy efficiency project
This industrial energy efficiency improvement project is located at the Transalloys silicomanganese (SiMn) production facility in Witbank, South Africa. The project will reduce the electricity consumption in the production of SiMn alloy (a key component in steel making). The production of each tonne of manganese alloy produced in the original submerged electric arc furnaces required approximately 5MWh of grid-fed electricity. The project has retrofitted the furnaces with a new and improved design for the electric arc, electrode assemblies, and control and peripheral systems. This has reduced the specific electricity consumption for alloy production by approximately 10-20% per tonne of alloy produced. The project has reduced electricity consumption
displacing electricity from the South African grid, which is mostly produced from coal.
The sustainable development benefits
• Makes a significant contribution to maintaining the livelihoods of the workers employed in this and ancillary industries both up and down stream of the facility
• Directly reduces the amount of electricity needed to produce the silicomanganese alloy and hence reduces the demand placed upon the South African national electricity grid
• Acts as a clean technology demonstration project, encouraging the development of modern and more efficient utilisation of electricity throughout the country
• Has a more effective capture of fugitive process dust, allowing better particulate capture therefore reducing emissions into the local environment
• Allows Transalloys to maintain and increase its competitive advantage in what is an aggressive, global, export focused market
The full case study can be downloaded.
Clicking a category below will direct you to a list of related information
Linked Items From EcoSecurities
Amatitlán geothermal project in Guatemala—harnessing the power of renewable energy through...
Rotor Elektrik Uretim Osmaniye wind farm in Turkey – engaging the local community in the economic...
Buy VERs to offset emissions.In voluntary carbon markets, activities that reduce GHGs produce...
The Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) is a mechanism which allows for the creation of Certified...
Related Items From Everyone
eSight Energy has announced an addition to the next major release of eSight, due out in June...
28 May 2013
The Bohemia 50 is the same height and width as the Bohemia 40 stove but has a greater depth at...
ISDE Bangladesh has been covering with the various services for the...
The NEW Elecscoot-4 electric scooter has a beautiful sleek design and is a real pleasure both to...
Manchester residents could vote to turn their city into the first outside London to adopt a...
27 Nov 2008